Definitions of Variables
1. Portuguese Origin: Scaleups that were founded first in Portugal and are currently Headquartered in Portugal or outside Portugal.
2. ICT stands for information and communications technology is defined as networking components, applications and systems that combined allow people and organisations (i.e., businesses, non-profit agencies, governments and criminal enterprises) to interact in the digital. As an example, any venture primarily leveraging Internet and/or emerging Communication technologies in the core of their offering; typically, B2B models.
3. CleanTech & Industry 4.0 refers to any process, product, or service that reduces negative environmental impacts through significant energy efficiency improvements, the sustainable use of resources, or environmental protection activities. Clean technology includes a broad range of technology related to recycling, renewable energy (wind power, solar power, biomass, hydropower, biofuels, etc.). Industrial is also included in this vertical and comprises businesses that relate to producing goods used in construction and manufacturing.
4. Consumer & Web refers to all services, products and processes that help in connecting sellers and buyers over the Internet. This category focuses on ventures that leverage on digital business models such as marketplaces to connect consumers to businesses. Typically working on traditional sectors (clothing, fashion, consumer goods, FMCG, etc).
5. Medical Devices & Health IT refers to the application of organised knowledge and skills in the form of devices, medicines, vaccines, procedures and systems developed to solve a health problem and improve quality of lives